Monday, August 25, 2008

Lunedì Letterario

The Kite Runner
by Khaled Hosseini
(2003)

The Kite Runner is a story about friendship, loyalty and betrayal, and the bond of fathers and sons. It is set in Afghanistan from the end of the monarchy to almost the current time and the images of the book usually had me feeling that I was reading a memoir rather than a novel. Much of it takes place 20 years ago as it explores the culture and beauty of Afghanistan as it is being ripped apart by warring factions. But, what is happening in the world today made me feel that the story is unfolding right now. These were some of the New York Times headlines while I was reading the book:
“Insurgency’s Scars Line Afghanistan’s Main Road”
“Military Death Toll Rises in Afghanistan”
“How a ‘Good War’ in Afghanistan Went Bad”

This book gave me a greater understanding about the political turmoil of Afghanistan and that part of our world. It presented me with many insights into Muslim culture and the struggles faced by refugees. I experienced joy and pain as I read the book and I often paused to reflect, thinking about the world that Khaled Hosseini shared with me through the pages of The Kite Runner.

No comments: