Monday, June 2, 2008

Festa della Repubblica


Today is June 2, the Festa della Repubblica. It commemorates the birth of the Italian Republic when, in 1946, following the Second World War and the fall of Fascism, Italian voters decided that their country should be a republic instead of a monarchy. Before this referendum, Italy was officially a monarchy ruled by the House of Savoy.

This morning at 7:00 am I was awakened by the sound of over 100 horses outside the bedroom window. They were on their way to the parade to celebrate the Festa della Repubblica that went between the Colosseum to Piazza Venezia.

When I finished breakfast, I decided to take the bus and make my way to the area near the Colosseum and see some of the parade. It was crowded and raining, and I could not see much of the parade because of all the people and umbrellas, but here are a few pictures of the morning.




No comments: