Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Granita di Gelsi


One of my favorite treats of the summer is granita di gelsi. It is a refreshing frozen concoction of water, sugar and crushed fruit that is often served with a sweet roll called a brioche. (Other flavors include caffè, pictured above with gelsi, strawberry, melon, lemon, mint... well just about anything!)

What is gelsi? It's mulberry.
I remember the children's song "Here We Go 'Round the Mulberry Bush." When I was in elementary school, I studied about silk worms eating mulberry leaves. I have often eaten in Italian restaurants on Mulberry Street in New York City's Little Italy. However, I don't think I ever saw a mulberry tree (or mulberry fruit) before this summer in Sicily.
This is the gelsi tree in Sandro's back yard in Enna.















This is Sandro serving some of his homemade granita di gelsi.



No comments: