Tuesday, January 26, 2010

SPQR: Fontana delle Anfore

Today on my way home, while passing through Piazza dell'Emporio, I noticed SPQR on the Fontana della Anfore.
This fountain was completed in 1927 by Pietro Lombardi after he won a competition the city of Rome had in the 1920s for new neighborhood fountains. This fountain is in Testaccio, below the Aventine Hill near the Tiber River
These cobblestones are around the base of the fountain. Two weeks ago I fell while crossing the Piazza. The result was an injured knee that took me to the emergency room. Nothing was broken, but I had to stay home from work and rest my leg for seven days.

SPQR are the first letters of the words in the Latin phrase Senatus Populusque Romanus, "The Senate and the People of Rome." It originally referred to the government of the ancient Roman Republic, and used as an official signature of the government, appearing on coins, civic inscriptions, and on the standards of the Roman legions. Today, SPQR is the motto of the city of Rome and appears in the city's coat of arms, the city's civic buildings, manhole covers, billboards and, of course, fountains.

No comments: